Thursday, December 2, 2010

The One And Only.....

Billie Joe Armstrong
This one has come and gone over the years, but it's always been something high on my interest list. It's not purely for looks (post Nimrod years anyone???) but he's been part of something bigger that has influenced my musical tastes, and in a way, who I am. He is my most Influential Stranger.
I discovered Green Day when Dookie came out, hearing it on the radio as a kid. My best friend at the time sent me a mix tape from England ( I had moved halfway around the world that year and we kept in touch) and it had When I Come Around and Basket Case as the only two songs I recognized. I remember doing my paper route with that blasting through my walkman. I was already into rock music and hated pop, but this 'new' music really got to me.
I've been a fan through the years, but American Idiot was probably the first album in my life to actually speak to me. I had my favourite songs off that record, and that has changed over time but there isn't a song that I would rather not have on that record. By the time 21st Century Breakdown had released I was re-learning who I was and while the album has some qustionable tracks for me, again I wouldn't change it at all.
There's so much about them that I could go on and on and on, so I will try not to. A few facts I have to throw in..... American Idiot wasn't the first attempt. That was called Cigarettes and Valentines and was 'stolen'. The band almsot broke up and arranged to meet at the studio to discuss their future. Mike got there first, bored, and wrote a 30 second song ('I fell asleep, while watching Spike TV, after 10 cups of coffee and you're still not here...'). Billie showed up from filling out his paperwork from his DUI a the local police station on East 12st in Oakland, thought Mike's song was cool and decided to write one of his own ('... filling out paperwork now, at the facility on east 12th street...'). Then when Tre go there he joined in the fun writing about his divorce ('I got a rock and roll girlfriend, and another ex-wife.."). It ended up being the Homecoming suite from AI. Cigarettes and Valentines was never heard of again until this summer when the band played the title track at a few of the concerts. Billie Joe went vegetarian but had to stop coz he got too skinny (oh I wish I could have that problem...) Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) was written before Dookie came out and is not a love song. It's a song he wrote after his girlfriend at the time dumped him.
Why is he my inspiration? The lyrics he writes speak to me. The music hits me in the very core. It motivates, soothes, fuels my anger, so many things depending on what I need at that time.
Plus he's not bad to look at....


I could go on and on and on... but I'll save it for another day..... There is so much going on today!!!!
First thing this morning I jumped on the scale, and OMG I FUCKING DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 139.9lbs!!!!! I can't belive I finally got below 140.0! I know it's lame that I'm so excited about being 0.1lbs below 140 but I was beginning to think it would never happen. I am so far ahead of my daily goals now. I just basically have to maintain this or lower until Monday when I have to start dropping again. Do I think 140 is behind me? No, I'll probably fluctuate for a while, but as long as I don't hit it over Christmas I should be good.
That pretty much kept me motivated all day. I avoided the candy in the lunch room, but I did accept a homemade cookie from one of the gals I work with. I was at about 500 cals until I just had a half a bag of popcorn and a ton of Nutella.... I feel gross now.... It really wasn't a 'binge' but it feels like one. I've just got my cup of blackcurrent tea (this stuff smells and tastes fantastic) and then bed.
Tomorrow there's the visit and I'm a bit nervous. Breakfast isn't happening anymore. I'm upset but relieved. This way I don't have to deal with the temptation of food, but I wonder what has changed that we're not doing that anymore. As much as I hate being labelled the 'favourite' I kinda got used to it. However, there will still be a lunch I'm sure. Hoping Swiss Chalet as the soup and salad will keep me below 200 cals, especially if I only manage half of the soup. If not, East Side Marios as their Italian Wedding Soup is amazing!!! I can't remember what weight I was the last time they saw me so i'm hoping they won't notice a difference as there'll be more questions.
Driving tomorrow night so more temptation. I'll take soup and good snacks (cheerios!!! mmmmm lol) for the evening and get out as soon as I can. Gotta hit Safeway for more fucking temptations. I'm going to help at a friends Church with their pre-Christmas bake/craft sale and I've volunteered to bring some treats. Small bite sized things like nanaimo bars, or individual cakes, tarts etc.... I think I may make some custard tarts also for the sale. I'm gonna be super busy!!! (and surrounded by food... blech!)
Then it's bed and up early the following day. This weekend is going to be a challenge. There's the bake sale, with treats for those helping, then dinner with my friend, then the following day it her son's birthday party. I've been invited to another friends work party so I may be able to leave early and skip food in both areas.... oh this is getting too complicated!!!
I just need to find will power and self control. If I eat reasonably this weekend and not gain, I've boosted my metabolism for next week. I just need to keep reasonable in there!!!
Mitten count: 2.75.... I think I give up.




















No comments:

Post a Comment