Tuesday, January 18, 2011

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Had an interesting link sent to me at about 2am last night as I couldn't sleep... It was all about HFCS (or Glucose/Fructose as it's known in the UK and Canada), one of the most unhealthy sugars.

Fructose is natural, it's found naturally in small amounts in fruit and veggies. The HFCS it refined glucose, forced into a fructose form so it's a mixture of both, and a liquid. It's then used in food and drinks instead of real sugar as it's cheaper.

Problem is that this combination has so many terrible consequences. For example, it doesn't alert your body to produce insulin which helps break down the sugar. It also doesn't trigger your appetite to tell you you are full. So, want another chocolate, go ahead, your brain won't register it but your ass certainly will.

I went around Stupidstore today spending far too much time seeing what it was in. I was suprised, and not. I mean, obviously Pop Tarts has it in, but I was expecting the chocolate to also. Nope, Cadbury was clean, as was the Lindt amongst other things, but some of the caramel based chocolate had it. It was in some gummy candies, but not all, and regular pop but not diet pop.

I found it in other foods that I wasn't expecting. Cereals that are advertised as 'healthy', especialy those with granola chunks in them. Many breakfast bars, and granola bars, including the Quaker ones. I didn't check the Special K ones.

I found it in some spreads, deserts, pre packaged dinners... Take a look whats in your cupboards, let me know what you find. Here's a link for Wikipedia, not the one I was sent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
If the other information doesn't bother you, check out the bit on mercury.

That just made a whole crap pile of food very unnatractive to me!!!

Speaking of which, WHALE WALKING THROUGH!!!!

Yeah, 145.8lbs this morning. Officially the highest weight I've been in about 2 months. I was less than this over Christmas. Only thing keeping me going is that I dropped that weight pretty damn quick so this should come off almost as easily.

Should.... I ate just over 500 cals today, went over with a quarter of a protein smoothie I keep taking gulps out of after the gym. Need the protein! Also I ended up 'treating' myself to 2 dried prunes and 4 pieces of dried pineapple. Terrible on the sugars, but at least it's really natural and the prunes will help things 'move' through... I hope. Hoping that will help the weight issue as the binging on the weekend has caused 'issues'. Sorry TMI?

Gym was ok. Ran for 25min and 10min walking and damn it was hard to get back into it. I felt like I was dying at 25min. Lungs gasping, legs bugging me.... Need more practice!!! Did 2 leg exercises, biceps and triceps with the machine, situps, and the assisted chin ups. Went on a spin bike until a class jumped in about 15 min later. Only there for just shy of 2 hrs but I'm happy I went.

Tomorrow is Zumba and I'm going to do the class after too, meaning I won't be done until 9pm. I'll stay later at work, leave around 5:45pm, do some warmup (running....) and if there's time some weights, then the 2 hrs of class. Basically replaces my Thursday double class from last month so it should help.

Eyebrow is bruised and swollen. No one noticed anything at work.

Wander; Not sure if it's guts or stupidity lol. I just keep wanting more. And for the trainer? I don't know. He's definatly great scenery in the gym, but I really really appreciate having someone I can talk to, and who trusts me enough to talk to me too. For now, friendship and I'm happy (I will not read into anything he posts on facebook.... at least I'll keep telling myself that!)

1 comment:

  1. Re: the HFSC - Interesting, but I think all processed junk has something in it we should fear, and it doesn't stop me bingeing on it :( I hope one day that I can eat all natural foods though, to avoid any nasty ingredients.

    Your comment about your trainer being great scenary made me laugh ;) I would kill for a trainer like that, who you can talk to properly too x

    ReplyDelete